Friday, January 15, 2010

First day in Africa!

I arrived in Dakar, Senegal, this morning at about 6:30AM. It was pretty cool flying in at night, because the city was all lit up, and it gave the perfect outline of the peninsula where Dakar is.

I had met a guy named Bedou on the plane on the flight over. He had just finished studying in the US, and we talked for a while. When we got to Dakar, he stayed with me, to make sure I got throught the checkpoints alright. We were filling out these forms before the checkpoints, and Bedou realized he left his passport on the plane. So I waited for him while he went back to the plane. Then, this older man came up to me and asked me to help him fill out his form. I was from Guinea, and I guess he didn't speak or write French well. So, I helped him. Then, he asked if I was married. I said no, and then I'm not sure I completely understood him. BUt, he asked for my address because he wanted me to meet his son and kept saying what a "joli garcon" he was. So I gave him my email. I'd heard about men making marriage propositions to visitors, but I didn't expect parents to do it :)

Finally, we got through the checkpoints. Then, I was waiting in the baggage claim area with Bedou. He was stacking his luggage on a cart, and another guy was helping him. I thought he was his brother or friend. They were speaking in Wolof though, so Iw asn'tsure. Bedou said I could put my bags on the cart too. So I did. Then, we walked outside. I met the man holding the CIEE sign to pick me up. THen, for some reason, the three of them started arguing - not really badly, but I could still tell something wasn't right. They were speaking in Wolof, so I didn't understand completely. BUt, I think that the guy who I assume was BEdou's friend/brother was actually a hired help, and was probably upset that I didn't need his help now, and woul;dn't get paid much then. So, just carry your own luggage here, I guess.

My CIEE contact brought me to a bus, which drove me to a hotel. It was wierd coming to a totally new country in pitch black darkness. I only saw the streets, and the few people on them. I got to my hotel, and met the other girl staying in my room, and then fell asleep right away.

We woke up today, around 11am here, about 4am mountain time. Our hotel room is beautiful. It's about 75 degrees here, and rather humid. There isn't glass on the windows, so the ocean breeze just flows through the curtains. The hotel rooms are painted vibrant orange, yellow and green patterns. I'm sure that sounds a little extreme, but it's not flourescent, it's more just very cheerful and tropical-looking. The hallways, and stairwells of the hotel are painted with beautiful murals or Senegalese forests, animals, and beaches. I feel so lucky :)

I and Martina, the other student with me, met with COurtney, an assistant from the study abroad program and she's been showing us around today. We had breakfast at this little Patisserie where there must have been about 15 little kids clammering about waiting for their baguettes with chocolate. That's what we had for breakfast as well. It's so cute to hear the kids yelling in French at one another.

Dakar is a little less developed than I had expected, at least compared to our idea of a developed city in the US. The roads are that great, there's quite a bit of trash laying around, and there are a lot of beggars and people selling odds and ends around. I am surprised at the number of children I've seen begging. TOday, a little boy (maybe 6-7 years old) came up to me and asked me for something. I haven't exchanged money yet, so even if I wanted to give him something, I couldn't. Then, I saw a policeman shoo the little boy away from the area where he was begging.

I have never been more self-conscious in my life. I'm the white person I've seen since I got off th plane. I stick out like bird poop on a hat. And, of course I knew I would. But, it's strange when you actually do stick out.

Dakar is a beautiful place. It's full of palm trees, mango trees, geckos and lizards of all sorts, baobob trees (pronounced bowbob), and the most amazing fruit markets, which I fully intend to check out later.

More later

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like you have already had quite an experience!

    I am very glad you made it there alright and seem to be adjusting nicely!!

    Have fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds amazing! I'm so glad you're enjoying the experience so far, and you seem to be taking everything in! :-)

    Keep updating when you get the chance, it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete